Subject: Re: Communication, and what to expect from users
From: James Conway <jwc@snf.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 11:56:35 -0800
Wed, 01 Dec 2004 11:56:35 -0800
Greetings:

System utilization over the holiday was acceptable but the system was
not fully reserved nor utilized.

I removed my Coral reservations for WED. overnight to meet with two
users' request whom indicated they absolutely must have access to the
system over the Holiday.  I will still need system time to complete
these writes and I have scheduled an overnight session for next Thursday
Dec. 9.

I AM SEEKING PERSONS WISHING TO SHARE THE RIDE ON THAT SESSION
SPECIFICALLY FOR FRIDAY MORNING EARLY AM SHOULD THE WRITING TAKE LESS
TIME THAN CALCULATED.

James Conway

David Goldhaber-Gordon wrote:

> James,
>
> I appreciate your desire to have the system fully utilized, but I feel
> your latest note goes a bit too far. Users were informed only last
> Friday that the system wouldn't be down over Thanksgiving. Many had
> presumably already made plans to be away, which may even have involved
> plane tickets. Certainly they didn't plan to be ready for lithography
> (with all prior steps done). And then there's been the issue with the
> write field alignment. If that's resolved, I have not noticed the
> resolution posted on the Raith list.
>
> Just to be clear, waiting to take down the system not only frees up
> the Thanksgiving week (as you noted) but also makes it more likely
> that the system will be usable for the two following weeks. I hope
> there is usage over Thanksgiving, but if there isn't it doesn't take
> away the value of the change in plans.
>
> On Monday, I encouraged my group members to consider using the system
> this week. Mark and Charis likely will. They and Hung-tao all very
> much want to get several writes done before the shutdown, and we'll
> try to work with you to make that work. I'm glad you made time for
> Ofer Levi to write over Thanksgiving. If you have writes you want to
> do over Thanksgiving, I do think you've given people enough warning
> that it should be OK for you to take an unclaimed overnight time over
> Thanksgiving for one of your own writes. If you don't want to work
> over Thanksgiving, that's certainly totally reasonable, but then the
> time made available on Thanksgiving is not time that you would have
> wanted to use for your own writes.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> David
>
> P.S. Your detailed reply to Ali Javey was very useful, and I can see
> how much care you put into it. Thank you for sharing those responses
> with the community.

> David Goldhaber-Gordon
> goldhaber-gordon@stanford.edu
> Assistant Professor of Physics                  davidg@post.harvard.edu
> Stanford University (permanent forwarding)
> www.goldhaber-gordon.com
> (650) 725-2047 (lab) (650) 724-3709 (office)
>
> Address for letters or packages:                Administrative Associate:
> David Goldhaber-Gordon                          Roberta Edwards
> Geballe Laboratory for Advanced Materials       McCullough, Rm. 338
> McCullough Building, Room 346                   Phone: (650) 723-8028
> 476 Lomita Mall                                 Fax: (650) 724-3681
> Stanford, CA 94305-4045                         email:
> redward@stanford.edu

Message