Subject: Announcement of pending maintenance and RAITH hardware and software upgrade to version 4. System off line to users Noon March 12 to 2PM Friday March 16, 2007
From: James Conway <jwc@snf.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 18:56:20 -0800

Greetings Raith Community:

This is your first announcement that I will be taking the RAITH 150 system down and off line to users for much of the week of March 12 - 16th, 2007.
ALL USERS are also notified to back up all the data, GDSII patterns and your position list to another platform to ensure your data is not lost.
We will be changing the computers and the operating system from what we now have to new platforms.

During this time I will be working with RAITH USA field service personnel to effect replacement to the ceramic balls that are mounted on our Laser Interferometer Stage Piezo mounts to address the  issues that we have been recently encountering. We will then qualify the system for performance and establish  baselines for measurements and timing of time of writes of my normal Process Control Monitor Patterns.

Once this is work is completed we will be upgrading the RAITH system's hardware and software to the current Version 4 package.
Mainly due to the strength of our collaborative efforts with RAITH GmbH and RAITH USA Inc., specifically George Lanzarotta CEO of Raith USA, along the support of management and Dirk Brüggemann International Sales manager with RAITH GmbH, they are willing to now donate the upgrade our system to version 4 at no cost to us.

For over two years now, I have been trying to obtain funding from SNF to perform this upgrade and each time SNF management have not been able to make available the funds to purchase the upgrade.($24,000 USD)   This is largely due to continuing funding constraints within SNF; the necessity to maintain,upgrade and repair other equipment in the SNF cleanroom.
In September of last year I approached RAITH GmbH regarding upgrading the system at my personal expense. In further discussions with principles of both RAITH companies they have recently agreed they will provide this significant donation of hardware and software at no cost to SNF.

This is a very kind gift and one that will have a positive impact on the throughput and performance of our RAITH 150 tool.
Within this upgrade are many of the features and software enhancements that have been requested to be developed from ideas of Stanford RAITH Users and myself as we continue to develop the RAITH 150 application in partnership with both RAITH companies.

We are currently finalizing our  plan to do the repairs and upgrade with alacrity and hope to minimize the impact that the downtime will have on our Users.  Stay tuned for more updates as we move through next week. I would imagine that we may have some access to users through the later part of the week if we do not run into problems during the repairs.

Thank you for your support!

James Conway