Subject: README: Raith Status 10 AM Friday -- System in qualification test and working out the last few bugs...
From: James Conway <jwc@snf.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:39:49 -0800
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:39:49 -0800
*Greetings Raith Community:*

The Raith system has been upgraded to version 4 with a upgrade of the
hardware and software of the tool.  Raith Field Service and I have been
working continuously since last Monday to stay on our schedule and
complete the upgrade with alacrity.  It has been a very difficult week
and we addressed many issues in addition to what we had in the original
plan. The Laser Stage piezo post leveling issues have been repaired and
now are fully resolved.

We have run into several challenges in the sub-systems of the tool which
we have addressed by replacing or repairing the affected sub-systems
hardware.  Raith  Field Service and  I are now working out a few bugs
that have come up in the RAITH SEM package, to interfaces the with the
scan generator  firmware, and within the New Windows XP OS now running
on the RAITH Computer. I hope to have these issues resolved by early
afternoon.

I am now in the qualification phase of evaluating the new system's
performance, coming up to speed on the new version of version 4
software, and migrating our data files to the new computer.  We
encountered problems porting the old drive to the new OS and we hope to
resolve that issue in the next hour.
The system has not yet passed qualification but we will attempt to
complete this by 2 PM today tentatively.

I have installed in the off line PC computer the RAITH version 4
software and users may now return to the lab to review this package
after 12 Noon today.

There are a number of changes to the RAITH application's structure, the
function call names, and the methods to perform most operations and all
users will have to gain some new training to utilize the system.

This weekend and through Tuesday Noon next week, only RAITH champions
may reserve time on or utilize the tool.  I will have to re-establish
logins manually for each user.  I will not start this process until all
the system issues encountered  have been fully resolved.

I will be migrating users roughly 100 users back onto the system in this
order:
Raith Champions get trained and qualified first, followed by users with
over 100 hours on the system whom are experienced intermediate level
users, followed by users with more than six months on the system,
finally all the new users from RAITH group XXII to RAITH Group XXV which
are those whom just came on the system since last November.

Schedule of Opportunity to learn the new RAITH version 4 system:

Friday afternoon  3- 6-07 tentatively from ~1:30 - 4 PM:
RAITH Champions only may visit the lab.  If we have completed our work I
will provide an introduction of version features, demonstrate the new
package and provide some initial training for users working on the tool
this weekend. If we still have outstanding issues this moves to Monday
afternoon.

Monday March 19, 2007 1 - 6 PM:
 I will again demonstrate and test the system providing a demo of the
exposure process. This is open to any interested party whom wishes to
attend.

Tuesday March 20 2 - 6 PM; Wednesday 3-21-07 10 - 2 PM; Thursday 3-22-07
1 - 6 PM  and Friday 3-23-07 10 - 2 PM:
Open sessions for experienced users desiring to return to the system
this week.  I will provide hands on training to users in small groups
through these sessions and intend to assist you in performing your first
exposures on the tool, testing the application, and setting up new file
directories and login for these users.

The following week of March 26 - 30, 2007 Open labs for any users
already qualified on the tool. See JWC reservation now on CORAL.
User wishing to start exposures within these sessions should schedule
with me _during my office hours only_. (Tuesday - Friday 8:30 - 9:30 AM)

Further updates as they occur.

Thank you for your support!

James Conway