Subject: Comment on RAITH reservations on Coral. RAITH STATUS MONDAY 5 PM
From: James Conway <jwc@snf.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:16:14 -0800

["multipart/related" not shown] Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:16:14 -0800

From: James Conway <jwc@snf.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:16:14 -0800

Good Afternoon Raith Community:

RAITH STATUS:
The RAITH system is up and available for Users.
There are no restrictions for use on the system.  Any Qualified User may operate the system up to 30 keV  Acceleration Voltage.

RAITH RESERVATIONS -- NEW THREAD FOR DISCUSSION ON raith@snf.stanford.edu : 'RAITH reservations on Coral.'

Last week I received several comments and one pointed complaint about reservations on the CORAL schedule being difficult to obtain and that some users were forced to watch the reservations coming up on CORAL at the end of the reservation time horizon.

1. Users are reminded that there exist only a limit to reservations and not for any total number of hours of usage on the RAITH tool.

2. I am finding that the system is actually idle much of the time towards the end of peoples reservation period, particularly during overnight and early morning EBL sessions. So,me opportunity is being lost when the system is left to write on its own unattended into the early morning hours, but completed the writing before the next user arrives for his session.

So I think it is timely to address a need and ask everyone for more care in your reservation slots on CORAL for the RAITH tool, and to ensure that hand-offs of the tool between Users are completed at the time the write task is completed.
Henceforth,  If the system has completed a writing task before the end of a session reservation --  I would then expect the current user would contact the next User(s) and let him or her know the system is ready for their use.  It is now my expectation that you will also time your write operations and know when the system will complete its EBL writing task. You can easily retrieve this information from the protocol.html on the RAITH computer from any previous exposure.

I also once again encourage ALL Users to 'Share the Ride' with others working on the tool to reduce the load lock overhead.

Finally I would like to have All Users to become more conservative in their reservation slots and strive to get more work through the system.

If you have specific comments or concerns, or would like to propose modifications to the existing RAITH Coral Reservation Policies, please reply to this email using Subject thread:  'RAITH reservations on Coral.'

Thank you for your Support!

James Conway

Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:16:14 -0800

From: James Conway <jwc@snf.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:16:14 -0800

["image/gif" not shown] Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:16:14 -0800