Subject: Please be careful in your coral scheduling -- much loss in time and opportunity due to recent NO SHOW sessions.
From: "James W. Conway" <jwc@snf.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 09:20:33 -0800

["multipart/related" not shown] Wed, 02 Dec 2009 09:20:33 -0800

From: "James W. Conway" <jwc@snf.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 09:20:33 -0800

Good Morning Everyone in the Raith Community:

I was disappointed in the RAITH Community that many people have been making either spurious reservations; simply have not shown up for their raith reservation; nor have posted cancellation notices on the raith@snf.stanford.edu list.  Particularly during this busy period as we approach our annual holiday shutdown, this behavior represents a huge loss of opportunity to other Users seeking access to the system to complete their work in 2009.
Henceforth this note serves as a warning and request to all Users working on the RAITH tool to carefully review their current CORAL reservations and ensure they show up for your reservations or post timely (~24 hours advance notice) notice of their cancellations on the reservation system. Users unable to comply with this request will simply loose their access to the RAITH until after February 2, 2010 upon the next incident that comes above the normal noise level.

While this may seem harsh to some, particularly if they are not working regularly on the tool  -- I believe it is justified in light of the very large RAITH User Group and the number of people seeking access to the system that recently have not been able to make a reservation and have complained to me or their PI's.

Users are reminded of two specific policies on the RAITH tool:

  1. Users may not make reservations for other users even if they are qualified on the tool.  If you reserve the tool I expect you to be on the tool and not another lab or group member.  This policy is to eliminate sandbagging the schedule within any specific group and allow equal opportunity to make a reservation for everyone.  All changes transfers and reservation exchanges must be announced in advance on the email list.
  2. In  place for all tools in the Ebeam Lab is 'The 16 Minute Rule' regarding No Shows for reservation slots.
    'The 16 Minute Rule' states simply that at minute 16 after a reservation slot opens; if the User has not posted a note on the tool, and sent an email to the email list of their intention to start late for any reason, their reservation is now expired and that any qualified User whom enables the tool on Coral can take that entire sessions time.  It is only upon that User's courtesy to return the tool to the last User after their tasking is complete, or hand off the tool early to the next User available to come onto the system.
All Users are expected to review the Policy tab in Coral and be familiar with the policies for each tool they are qualified on.
All Users are requested to consider 'Sharing the Ride' with other users working on the system to reduce to load/unloading time overhead and increase throughput on the system.  This is particularly useful if your session may not require its total reservation time to complete your tasking or if you are simply using the system for SEM and metrology functions.

In early February 2010 we will once again hold an Ebeam Town Hall Meeting and if Users wish to modify or change any policy on the Ebeam tools this will be the time and place to make your opinions known and affect change within our Community.

Thank you for your support!

James W. Conway

Coral History 12-2-09 partial
Wed, 02 Dec 2009 09:20:33 -0800

From: "James W. Conway" <jwc@snf.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 09:20:33 -0800

["image/bmp" not shown] Wed, 02 Dec 2009 09:20:33 -0800