Subject: RAITH Status 16:30 Friday -- System will remain off line to users for exposures through the weekend.
From: James Conway <toecutter4ranger@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 16:36:23 -0800
Fri, 8 Jan 2010 16:36:23 -0800
Greetings Raith Users:

We have been testing the robot arm of the load lock loader. These test
failed as we have no consistency in the robot arm positioning as we move in
and then attempt to move back to the outer load lock position.  This is due
to the loader belt slipping on the motor drive gear once it reached the
outer robot arm position and renders an offset in the T position.  This
problem surfaced as we began qualifications and previous test with RAITH
Tuesday evening did not show significant problems on initial testing.

Users are requested to move their current coral reservations to beyond next
Wednesday at 16:00 hours.  This extended interval of downtime was unexpected
and I apologize for the delay in your research.  Starting Monday afternoon
when RAITH Field Service engineers arrive from New York and S. CAL, we will
replace the loader belt, check the mechanicals to the robot arm, replace the
pinion gear to the Z-motor which is drawing excessive current, and finally
replace or repair the Neslab chillers.

In my experience on beam tools it is very unusual to encounter so many
different problems at Startup. But sometimes when things become urgent a
series of small problems  can result in bringing these complex systems down.
 Rest assured working with RAITH we will resolve all issues and get up and
running for everyone as soon as possible.

Stay tuned for update messages Tuesday and plan you ancillary processing
accordingly.

If you have further questions please send me a email to this address.  My
SNF email INBOX is currently unaccessible to me from my desktop PC.

Thank you for your support!

James Conway