Subject: RAITH is down through next week.
From: James Conway <jwc@snf.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 13:23:57 -0800

Greetings,

During the start up of the Raith system after the Holiday break we
experienced a number problems likely due to a FE Gun arcing event.
(Possible EHT trip...)

We are also aggressively addressing several issues that surfaced during
the final weeks of last year related to write field stitching errors.

The FE-tip on the LEO has exceeded its useful life and emission
performance was falling.  I have been trying to get LEO to address this
issue since before December 2, 2002 with very little response from LEO
Western Region Field Service.

During startup this last Tuesday after a short interval of run up the
gun most likely arced and shut itself down.  This resulted in damage to
the RAITH image acquisition board and also dropped the IEE-488 bus
controlling and communicating with sub-systems on the Raith.

Raith response to this problem has been excellent and we are to receive
parts tomorrow. (Friday 1-10-03)  LEO has been less forthcoming and we
are experiencing a delay in bringing the system back up due to them. I
have upgraded the request for service through Oberkocken, DE. the LEO
headquarters and in the USA in Thornwood, N.Y.

Rest assured that we are working hard to correct these problems to get
back up and running, qualify the system performance, and to get Users
back on the system as soon as is humanly possible. We expect to be up
sometime early next week for testing.

Thank you for your support!

James Conway
E-beam Technology Group