Subject: Re: ALERT ACTION REQ: RAITH 150 Reservations Policy:: 8 hours per rolling 10 day reservation window
From: James Conway <jwc@snf.stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:19:24 -0800
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:19:24 -0800
Question from Ryan Tu:

Can we not make multiple reservations during our 10 day horizon?

Yes you can.

JWC




Ryan Tu wrote:

>James,
>
>Could you also please clarify rule number 6, that we must use our
>reservation before making another reservation on Coral.  Can we not make
>multiple reservations during our 10 day horizon?
>
>Thanks,
>Ryan
>
>----- Original Message ----- 
>From: "Jien Cao" <jiencao@stanford.edu>
>To: "James Conway" <jwc@snf.stanford.edu>; "Raith SNF Mailing list"
><raith@snf.stanford.edu>
>Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 5:48 PM
>Subject: Re: ALERT ACTION REQ: RAITH 150 Reservations Policy:: 8 hours per
>rolling 10 day reservation window
>
>
>  
>
>>James,
>>
>>Could you please clarify on item 2, namely, the 4-hour-minimum rule?
>> If a write needs less than 4 hours, what is the procedure to initiate
>>a "share ride"?
>>
>>As I understand it, the purpose of policy #2 is to ensure that one can
>>make reservation without being cutting off by other users.  In the case
>>that we need less than 4 hours, can we simply reserve what we need
>>and let others know?  It may be easier this way.
>>
>>Thanks for your attention.
>>
>>Jien
>>
>>----- Original Message ----- 
>>From: "James Conway" <jwc@snf.stanford.edu>
>>To: "Raith SNF Mailing list" <raith@snf.stanford.edu>
>>Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 1:50 PM
>>Subject: ALERT ACTION REQ: RAITH 150 Reservations Policy:: 8 hours per
>>rolling 10 day reservation window
>>
>>
>>    
>>
>>>ALL USERS are reminded that there is a limit to RAITH machine
>>>      
>>>
>reservations
>  
>
>>>on the coral system -- but not to access of or utilization of the RAITH
>>>system...  Please see section 1 and 3 below...
>>>
>>>There are currently several Users whom have exceeded the 8 hour
>>>reservation limit on the system in the current 10 day window. Please
>>>      
>>>
>check
>  
>
>>>your reservations and reduce your reservation total time to below the 8
>>>hour limit by Tuesday morning 10 AM or I will remove your access to the
>>>system for the entire period through the end of the year.
>>>
>>>Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter,
>>>
>>>James Conway
>>>
>>>
>>>Current RAITH 150 Reservations Policy:
>>>
>>>1. Reservation limit of 8 hours per rolling 10 day reservation window on
>>>the Coral Reservation System.
>>>The reservation horizon was increased from 7 days to 10 days on Coral to
>>>allow you a longer window to make reservations.
>>>
>>>2. Minimum of a four hour reservation slot, or you should 'Share the
>>>      
>>>
>Ride'
>  
>
>>>with other users within your CORAL reservation. i.e., No half hour
>>>reservation games allowed or tolerated! Not necessary to petition the
>>>Raith list for each of your sessions!
>>>
>>>3.  Longer reservation needed than the normal 8 hour session:
>>>You may have one reservation only of up to 10 hours maximum if you have
>>>      
>>>
>no
>  
>
>>>other reservations on the RAITH Coral system in a rolling two week
>>>      
>>>
>period.
>  
>
>>>You must have approval from James Conway if you desire a session longer
>>>than 10 hours, and you will then not be able to make an additional
>>>reservation for a two week period after that reserved session is
>>>completed.  This is meant to meet the needs of users with special
>>>      
>>>
>writing
>  
>
>>>needs or circumstances only.
>>>
>>>4. Reservations start (rather than end) within the reservation horizon.
>>>This change in particular, is designed to avoid the "30 minute roulette"
>>>that  labmembers wishing to reserve the raith and the stsetch have been
>>>forced to play.
>>>
>>><!--[endif]-->5. We have abandoned the concept of 'prime time' and
>>>'non-prime time' hours. The Lab operates 24/7.
>>>
>>>6. First Come First Serve -- You must use your reservation before making
>>>      
>>>
>a
>  
>
>>>new reservation on the Coral system.
>>>
>>>Raith System Usage Policy:
>>>
>>>1. No System Usage Limit:
>>>While we have specific limits to RAITH Coral reservations, we do not
>>>      
>>>
>have
>  
>
>>>a limit on the system utilization if there are no other users working on
>>>or reserved for the system.   I expect the system to be utilized 100% of
>>>the time.  Users are asked to make the hand off between users as smooth
>>>      
>>>
>as
>  
>
>>>possible. It is suggested you check in with the previous user a short
>>>      
>>>
>time
>  
>
>>>before your session to aid in communications and the system hand off to
>>>reduce the unload / load exchange interval time.
>>>
>>>2. Grace Period: Users are expected to start and end your writing
>>>      
>>>
>sessions
>  
>
>>>within 15 minutes of the scheduled time slot.
>>>If you are having problems, or encountered difficulties during your
>>>      
>>>
>write,
>  
>
>>>which may require for you to extend into the next user's session you are
>>>expected to make an attempt to inform the next user within a hour of the
>>>hand off time. You must gain their permission to extend into their
>>>session.  If you don't get permission or cannot complete the EBL task -- 
>>>you are expected to cancel the exposure and immediately yield the system
>>>to the next user on their request.  If you did not start your session on
>>>time as scheduled you will not be allowed a grace period to continue
>>>      
>>>
>into
>  
>
>>>the next person's session.
>>>Remember you must gain the next users permission to extend beyond 15
>>>minutes into the next reservation slot.
>>>
>>>3. Beginning your writing session -- the '16 minute Rule' applies:
>>>If at 'minute 16' of your reservation slot, if you have neither shown up
>>>to start your session, nor marked the system with a note saying you are
>>>coming, nor communicated with the last user on the system and posted to
>>>the raith mailing list; you lose your entire reservation.  It is only
>>>      
>>>
>upon
>  
>
>>>the courtesy of the user available to come onto the system, once he has
>>>enabled on CORAL for the session, as to either to return the system to
>>>      
>>>
>you
>  
>
>>>within your lost reservation time or not.
>>>
>>>4. Cancellations:
>>>Cancellations and trade off in RAITH sessions should be posted to the
>>>Raith mailing list for all to view as soon as possible once you realize
>>>that you will not be able to make use of your reservation.  It is
>>>      
>>>
>expected
>  
>
>>>of Users that cancellations be done at least 24 hours before your
>>>      
>>>
>reserved
>  
>
>>>session to allow other lab members to make use of the opening. <!--[if
>>>!supportLineBreakNewLine]-->You must post a reason for your
>>>      
>>>
>cancellation,
>  
>
>>>particularly if it was due to a system or machine dependence from within
>>>the lab not allowing you to get your work finished.
>>>
>>>5.  If there is no one on the system and no reservation on CORAL, the
>>>system is available to you for your use.
>>> This does not affect your reservation limits on the Coral schedule and
>>>there is no need to make a reservation on Coral for this session.
>>>
>>>6.  ALL USERS must enable CORAL in their own account for their writing
>>>sessions. At the time of enable Users are to start an entry in the RAITH
>>>Operations Logbook and all pertinent information should be recorded.
>>>Problems during a run should be reported to CORAL and noted in the
>>>      
>>>
>Logbook
>  
>
>>>for prompt action by SNF staff.
>>>
>>>Thank you for your inputs and support of these policies.  This should go
>>>      
>>>
>a
>  
>
>>>long way to create fair and uniform access and utility of the RAITH 150
>>>Ebeam Lithography System.
>>>
>>>Yours,
>>>
>>>James Conway
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>    
>>


Question from Ryan Tu:

Can we not make multiple reservations during our 10 day horizon?

Yes you can.

JWC



Ryan Tu wrote:
James,

Could you also please clarify rule number 6, that we must use our
reservation before making another reservation on Coral.  Can we not make
multiple reservations during our 10 day horizon?

Thanks,
Ryan

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jien Cao" <jiencao@stanford.edu>
To: "James Conway" <jwc@snf.stanford.edu>; "Raith SNF Mailing list"
<raith@snf.stanford.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 5:48 PM
Subject: Re: ALERT ACTION REQ: RAITH 150 Reservations Policy:: 8 hours per
rolling 10 day reservation window


  
James,

Could you please clarify on item 2, namely, the 4-hour-minimum rule?
 If a write needs less than 4 hours, what is the procedure to initiate
a "share ride"?

As I understand it, the purpose of policy #2 is to ensure that one can
make reservation without being cutting off by other users.  In the case
that we need less than 4 hours, can we simply reserve what we need
and let others know?  It may be easier this way.

Thanks for your attention.

Jien

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "James Conway" <jwc@snf.stanford.edu>
To: "Raith SNF Mailing list" <raith@snf.stanford.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 1:50 PM
Subject: ALERT ACTION REQ: RAITH 150 Reservations Policy:: 8 hours per
rolling 10 day reservation window


    
ALL USERS are reminded that there is a limit to RAITH machine
      
reservations
  
on the coral system -- but not to access of or utilization of the RAITH
system...  Please see section 1 and 3 below...

There are currently several Users whom have exceeded the 8 hour
reservation limit on the system in the current 10 day window. Please
      
check
  
your reservations and reduce your reservation total time to below the 8
hour limit by Tuesday morning 10 AM or I will remove your access to the
system for the entire period through the end of the year.

Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter,

James Conway


Current RAITH 150 Reservations Policy:

1. Reservation limit of 8 hours per rolling 10 day reservation window on
the Coral Reservation System.
The reservation horizon was increased from 7 days to 10 days on Coral to
allow you a longer window to make reservations.

2. Minimum of a four hour reservation slot, or you should 'Share the
      
Ride'
  
with other users within your CORAL reservation. i.e., No half hour
reservation games allowed or tolerated! Not necessary to petition the
Raith list for each of your sessions!

3.  Longer reservation needed than the normal 8 hour session:
You may have one reservation only of up to 10 hours maximum if you have
      
no
  
other reservations on the RAITH Coral system in a rolling two week
      
period.
  
You must have approval from James Conway if you desire a session longer
than 10 hours, and you will then not be able to make an additional
reservation for a two week period after that reserved session is
completed.  This is meant to meet the needs of users with special
      
writing
  
needs or circumstances only.

4. Reservations start (rather than end) within the reservation horizon.
This change in particular, is designed to avoid the "30 minute roulette"
that  labmembers wishing to reserve the raith and the stsetch have been
forced to play.

<!--[endif]-->5. We have abandoned the concept of 'prime time' and
'non-prime time' hours. The Lab operates 24/7.

6. First Come First Serve -- You must use your reservation before making
      
a
  
new reservation on the Coral system.

Raith System Usage Policy:

1. No System Usage Limit:
While we have specific limits to RAITH Coral reservations, we do not
      
have
  
a limit on the system utilization if there are no other users working on
or reserved for the system.   I expect the system to be utilized 100% of
the time.  Users are asked to make the hand off between users as smooth
      
as
  
possible. It is suggested you check in with the previous user a short
      
time
  
before your session to aid in communications and the system hand off to
reduce the unload / load exchange interval time.

2. Grace Period: Users are expected to start and end your writing
      
sessions
  
within 15 minutes of the scheduled time slot.
If you are having problems, or encountered difficulties during your
      
write,
  
which may require for you to extend into the next user's session you are
expected to make an attempt to inform the next user within a hour of the
hand off time. You must gain their permission to extend into their
session.  If you don't get permission or cannot complete the EBL task -- 
you are expected to cancel the exposure and immediately yield the system
to the next user on their request.  If you did not start your session on
time as scheduled you will not be allowed a grace period to continue
      
into
  
the next person's session.
Remember you must gain the next users permission to extend beyond 15
minutes into the next reservation slot.

3. Beginning your writing session -- the '16 minute Rule' applies:
If at 'minute 16' of your reservation slot, if you have neither shown up
to start your session, nor marked the system with a note saying you are
coming, nor communicated with the last user on the system and posted to
the raith mailing list; you lose your entire reservation.  It is only
      
upon
  
the courtesy of the user available to come onto the system, once he has
enabled on CORAL for the session, as to either to return the system to
      
you
  
within your lost reservation time or not.

4. Cancellations:
Cancellations and trade off in RAITH sessions should be posted to the
Raith mailing list for all to view as soon as possible once you realize
that you will not be able to make use of your reservation.  It is
      
expected
  
of Users that cancellations be done at least 24 hours before your
      
reserved
  
session to allow other lab members to make use of the opening. <!--[if
!supportLineBreakNewLine]-->You must post a reason for your
      
cancellation,
  
particularly if it was due to a system or machine dependence from within
the lab not allowing you to get your work finished.

5.  If there is no one on the system and no reservation on CORAL, the
system is available to you for your use.
 This does not affect your reservation limits on the Coral schedule and
there is no need to make a reservation on Coral for this session.

6.  ALL USERS must enable CORAL in their own account for their writing
sessions. At the time of enable Users are to start an entry in the RAITH
Operations Logbook and all pertinent information should be recorded.
Problems during a run should be reported to CORAL and noted in the
      
Logbook
  
for prompt action by SNF staff.

Thank you for your inputs and support of these policies.  This should go
      
a
  
long way to create fair and uniform access and utility of the RAITH 150
Ebeam Lithography System.

Yours,

James Conway