Subject: Re2: Zeiss has once again not shown up today as scheduled.
From: James Conway <>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:03:08 -0800

Hello ALL:

Day end update.
I was not able to reach, nor have I heard from anyone at ZEISS SMT other 
than the administrative assistance I reached in my original call.  Was 
on the phone with Cole Loomis much of the late afternoon and he did not 
get any responses to my knowledge either.  This is typically Zeiss SMT 
behavior. Likely Mike Santomango is either at Headway in Fremont where 
they are having their own crisis on startup this week, or with the usual 
suspects at Hitachi Almaden.  Both of these facilities will not allow 
cell phones into the cleanroom.

I have continued with the service run up and so far all is going well.  
I think this may be a really nice FE-GUN as it is behaving very 
uniformly during the run up, and ultra high vacuum has been maintained 
in the -010 Torr scale.  Data collected is in Notebook No 2. if you are 

Thank you,


James Conway wrote:

> Greetings:
> I had expected Mike Santomango to arrive here on site first thing this 
> afternoon to continue our service run up and calibrations to the 
> system together with me. We had agreed at the end of the day yesterday 
> to resume our work at 12:30 PM after ~ 18 hours of conditioning at 1 
> keV acceleration voltage.
> I spoke with Cole Loomis on this need at ~ 14:00 hours informing him 
> on the no show, no call situation at hand.
> It is now  14:22 hours and I have not heard from anyone at Zeiss 
> regarding this delay.  At 14:12 hours I called the 800 number at Zeiss 
> Thornwood Field service and was forwarded to the west coast operator 
> in Redwood City, CA and spoke with than person directly.  She was 
> unable to freely tell me where Mike may be located, so I asked her to 
> have Mike call me on my cell phone ASAP. My expectation is that he is 
> at another customers site and unable to respond to pages and cell 
> phone calls as many facilities have no cell phone access inside their 
> buildings.
> In consideration of the work that needs to be performed to bring this 
> system back on line within some reasonable accommodation to my 
> schedule needs; I will not delay any further and am going to continue 
> to perform the service ramp ups  and conditioning to 10 kV levels on 
> my own with Raith USA's  permission. (verbal phone with Cole Loomis.)
> The purpose of this email is simply to document the sequence of events 
> for everyone concerned. No further action from management is requested 
> at this time.
> Thank you for your support!
> James Conway