Subject: Re: Problem raith 2004-02-11 09:21:26: beam current falling -- PM will occur next Friday - Tuesday.
From: James Conway <jwc@snf.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:08:18 -0800

Greetings:

The beam current values (BEAM I) have been falling consistently as the
10 and 30 um apertures are becoming blocked with hydrocarbons during the
writes.  This is normal and is to be expected especially considering the
usage we have on the system.

Currently the beam current for the 10 um aperture is 50% of when the
aperture disk was new.
Currently the beam current for the 30 um aperture is 60 % of when the
aperture disk was new.

50 % of new maximum is the breakpoint to trigger the PM request.  As
planned and previously announced,  we will be doing a column clean with
aperture replacement PM including a NEW FE-gun tip replacement this next
weekend. We will be down Friday 10 AM through late Tuesday afternoon. No
access no use during this period.  40 hour bake out has been requested
and will be done concurrent with the Monday Holiday.

The system will be requalified for performance and imaging resolution
before releasing it back to users.  Please schedule your work accordingly.

The report of the stage freeze is the first reported in some time...  we
will monitor the situation.  If you observe this give time for all macro
and other operations to be completed then attempt to move the stage a mm
or more using the Stage control.  If this still does work press the STOP
SIGN in the Stage control window and it will stop all pending operations
and release the XYZ axis's.

Back to green light mode...  writes performed last night by dwshin came
ot very nice.

Thank you,

JWC

quay@snf.stanford.edu wrote:

>1) Beam current low and fluctuating *a lot*. Last user (John Paul) records 30pm at
30 micron aperture (compared to 140 usuall). I got 63 +/- 5. At 120 micron aperture,current
was 1.252nA and decreased by 0.01 nA over a five minute period. I noticed from the logbook
that the current has been steadily decreasing over the past 2 days.
>2) Column not moving.  After write, joystick did not move column. Nor did software.
I managed to 'fix' this by turning off and and on the laser stage control.  I suspect
that the column may not have moved at all during the write, i.e. only one writefield
was written over and over again.