Subject: Re: Shutdown raith SNF 2007-06-05 10:42:42: shutdown no water flow and system vented 0vernight
From: jwc@snf.stanford.edu
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 16:15:48 -0700

Good afternoon Raith Users:
The NESLAB chiller unit failure and a slight blockage in the turbo pump cooling line
took down the system earlier in the week.
I flushed and reverse flushed the cooling loop with city water to 80 psi removing a
quantity of black junk, presumably fungus, in the cooling fluids.  Then drained and
completely flushed lines again with 1% hydrogen peroxide and water solution to disinfect
lines and connections, then drained again.
Finally flushed with 10 gallons run through the entire cooling loop with pure water.
Loaner NESLAB chiller arrived inoperative due to a damaged main circuit breaker. Repaired
breaker and restored functionality to loaner chiller.  Connected to RAITH cooling loop
and purged all lines of bubbles and topped off with pure water.  Currently the flow
is 1.2 lpm, which is below the 2.0 lpm specification for system,  but better than 0.8
lpm flow level before.
Currently pumping down system and gun sections to set points and I am now performing
service run up of the FE-Gun. All appears to be normal with the run up and conditions
in the FE-Gun section appear normal.
Expect to return system to Users later this eafternoon.  I would be happy to load the
system with the next user(s) commencing at 17:30 - 18:00 hours. I expect it will take
a week to ten days to reach previous gun vacuum and filament emission values.
Users are NOT TO EXCEED 10 keV acceleration voltage without my permission.  Please call
me if you encounter any problems over the weekend, or desire higher acceleration voltages
for your EBL write.
Thank you for your support!
James Conway