Subject: MS patches for IE 0-day
From: John Shott <shott@stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 06:55:59 -0700
Thu, 20 Sep 2012 06:55:59 -0700
SNF Lab Members:

Earlier this week a zero-day bug affecting Microsoft Internet Explorer
(their browser) was reported.  Microsoft has just released an emergency
fix for this problem and will likely have a second, more comprehensive
patch, tomorrow.  If you use Internet Explorer on a Windows desktop or
laptop you are at risk.

Here is a message from John Gerth in the Computer Science department who
keeps on top of such things.  The first link in his post that starts
with blogs.technet.com will take you to an article which has a like to
the Microsoft Fix it 50939 that addresses this issue.  This Fix it will
not require a reboot of your machine and I suggest that you install it
at your earliest convenience.

While this vulnerability has nothing directly to do with SNF or Coral, I
sent it out in hopes of preventing you and your machines from being
adversely affected by exploits taking advantage of this flaw.  Also, I
trust that SNF staff will not only apply this patch to their own laptops
and desktops, but to lab equipment running Windows that may also have
Internet Explorer.

Thank you for your attention,

John

There's an emergency fixit available today....full patch due Friday Sep 21
   http://blogs.technet.com/b/msrc/archive/2012/09/19/internet-explorer-fix-it-available-now-security-update-scheduled-for-friday.aspx

SANS...
   http://isc.sans.edu/diary/IE+Fixes+Available/14134
Krebs...