On this page:
- For details on the provisional FY17 equipment fees, please contact snf-access(at)stanford.edu
- FY16 Service Center Equipment Use Fees (effective Dec. 1, 2015)
- FY16 Stockroom Inventory Prices (effective Dec. 1, 2015)
- Previous Fee Schedules
The fees and overhead applied are determined by how your organization is classified. Direct costs are reported on Badger and applied to organization categories as described below. (Please see Overhead for a description of how this is applied by category.) :
- Stanford University and Affiliates: Any internal Stanford department or institute, including SLAC.
- Other Academic: Non-Stanford University, higher-educational institution. Includes government research organizations.
- Industry: Companies, foreign research labs.
- Industry SBIR: Companies supported by a recognized SBIR program may be eligible for the special discount SBIR rate. Documentation of the SBIR award will be required.
Equipment fees are used to recover the associated operating costs associated (general supplies, gases, spare parts, etc.) Equipment charges are based on usage time. There is no charge for time in the cleanroom, only for equipment use; for current rates, see the fees page. Precious metal use is charged, in addition for metallization tools; this will appear as equipment use charges for these tools. Current precious metal recharge rates are listed on the current fee page.
The Soft Cap system is a graduated monthly equipment use fee that is applied to tools in the Cleanroom (with exceptions as noted on the Rate sheet). Note that the Soft Cap does not apply to equipment in the MOCVD or the ExFab labs. In the Soft Cap system, Cleanroom equipment use is charged at the base hourly rate, until the Soft Cap is reached, above which equipment use is charged at 25% of the base hourly rate. The equipment use fees are cumulative for the calendar month and reset to zero on the first day of every month. The Soft Cap is a dollar amount; use of no-charge equipment does not qualify.
Multiple labmembers on the same account are each subject to his/her own soft cap. One labmember working on more multiple accounts is subject to a soft cap for each account. In summary: one soft cap per person, per project, per calendar month.
Staff charges are incurred for staff supported lab activities, such as training and processing requests. Training recharge rates are listed on the current fees page; recharge time for tool training is detailed in Equipment Contacts. Limited support for fabrication services is offered and charged at the Staff Recharge rates indicated. Process Staff and Technical Liaisons are available for consultation inside and outside te lab without charge. There is also no charge for the Orientation and Safety Laboratory Class. However, projects requiring major technical assistance might be subject to Staff Recharge.
Stanford University charges overhead for all sponsored projects and related activities. Overhead rates are available on the DoResearch site. Labmembers can look up current charges on Badger, which are reported as direct costs. Overhead is applied to all direct charges, including from staff support and the stockroom, as well as equipment use. Invoices are issued by the University to non-Stanford/SLAC organizations and will list overhead as "Facilities and Administrative Charges" for each line item.
- Stanford University and Affiliates: The applicable overhead depends on the type of account; the University does not issue invoices for internal accounts and will automatically apply the appropriate overhead.
- Other Academic: Non-Stanford University academic and government research institutions are subject to the "non-sponsored Receivables rate for External, higher-education users."
- Industry/Industry SBIR: All other organization are subject to the "non-sponsored Receivables rate" for external, non-academic users.