AFM2 Update

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 24 14:33:57 PDT 2005

AFM Users,

I want to give you a status update on the AFM.  If you have been watching
the coral lights it has been yellow and it will be staying that way for the
next few weeks.

The white light power supply has been ordered and we have been given a
delivery date of Sept. 1st.  The system will stay under yellow until the
replacement power supply is installed.

Scanner head.  If you have been using the system recently you are aware of
the backlash in the laser alignment.  The backlash got significantly worst
in the last week, or so.  The backlash is so sever, you can make many
rotations on the screws without getting any movement from the laser.  In
addition, the laser supply cable appears to have a break in it.  If the
cable became twisted, the laser light would go out.  There also was a
report we were only getting scanning movement in one direction.  This is
typical of a failure in the piezoelectric.  This is an expensive
repair.  By resetting the software I was able to see scanning in two
directions, but I want to have the piezo evaluated.

With the accumulation of the errors on the tool, I decided to get
maintenance on the scanner head.  Repair of the scanner will take
approximately two weeks.  I requested a loaner scanner and it has
arrive.  Actually, it arrived faster than I was able to do the necessary
paperwork.  I'm hoping to complete the paperwork and swap out the scanner
and send ours out for repair this week.  The two week repair clock will
start once our scanner arrives at Veeco.  The system will remain in yellow
until we install our scanner.

We will be liable for any damage to the loaner scanner.  It is imperative
you take extra caution if you use the system while the loaner scanner is
installed.  Without having the white light the chance for crashing the head
in to your sample increases.  If you don't feel comfortable using the AFM
please find an experienced user to assist your, or consider delaying your
analysis if possible.

Regards,
Ed