AFM Update

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 3 14:01:38 PST 2008

All,

WARNING:  all images on the !-drive will be deleted the week of Jan.
7th.  This drive is not a storage drive.  Your images should either
be on your USB drive or in the User Folders on the d-drive.

Second.  Someone keeps changing the tip approach parameters (it's one
of two people).  I don't know why you need to change the parameter,
but if you think it's important please make sure you reset them back
to the original values.  The only thing you are doing by changing
these parameters is greatly increasing the time for the tip to engage
the surface.

I have put in a new revision of the operating instructions.  There
are a few changes, based on training I had with a skilled ex-Vecco employee.

The changes relate to the Cantilever Frequency Tune parameters
(section 7) and Adjusting the Image Parameters (section
12).  Hopefully this will get you to a better image quicker,
especially those doing surface roughness.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please let me know.

Regards,
Ed