Is the AFM2 heading for removal?

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 21 11:13:27 PDT 2011

AFM2 Lab Member community,

As stated on the Wiki: "Upon completion of training, all users are
expected to be available to administer two 1-on-1 trainings themselves".

To date only one recently trained lab member has stepped
forward.  While the Wiki talks about recently trained lab members,
there is also an expectation current users of the system also help in
the training.

We have reached a critical point in the life of the SNF AFM2.  The
intention was to have the training on the AFM2 be self
sustaining.  Due to the efforts of three lab members we have made it
a half of a year.  Without an influx of support, the AFM2 is rapidly
headed towards shutdown.

So as an individual and as part of the AFM2 community, it is now up
to you to decide if the AFM2 has value by volunteering your time for
training or if it is time to retire the system.  If we are not able
to have a committed core sufficient to sustain the tool by Sept. 1,
we will remove the system from the facility.

Please note, the training approach was developed by the student
committee and the potential removal of the system has been approved
by upper management.

Regards,