Upper plate overtemp thermostat reset .... I think.

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Sat May 24 11:41:33 PDT 2008

AG4108 community:

I think that I have found and reset the top plate overtemp switch.  According to the manual, this is set at 90 deg C and once it trips the heaters will be kept off until it is manually reset.  I believe that it was likely tripped on Thursday evening.

I have now reset that (I think) and I have also added cooling capacity so that the temperature of the cooling water (when the tool is not running) is about 63 F instead of 83 F.  This should improve things when running.
Unfortuantely, I'm not qualified to fly this tool (heck, I'm not even allowed to taxi) so I can't test completely if the lamps will come on.

If any one who can pilot this tool has the time and the inclination, I'm sure that the rest of the AG community would appreciate it if someone could do a test run to see if the lamps will come back on.

Note: because I had the back interlocked doors of the machine open to do this (and I also opened the same doors on the AG4100 for comparison purposes), that may have somehow moved the system into an error condition as well.  I also don't know how to reset that, but the doors are now properly closed, so that someone with better piloting skills can probably reset the sytem and software.

I've just cleared the shutdown related to this same issues.

I'll apologize in advance in case anyone comes in hoping that the lamps will fire and there is still an outstanding issue .... I need to get trained so that I could run the machine enough to test this myself but, alas, at this point I can't yet do that.  But, I'm at least optimistic that I've resolved the Top Plate Overtemp issue.

Thanks,
John