Reserved for leakchecking and temperature-related troubleshooting ....

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Sat May 17 14:23:02 PDT 2008

amtetcher community:

We have reserved the amtetcher starting at 3 p.m. until midnight on
Monday, May 19.

We hope to do a couple of things during that time window:

1. During the afternoon, we hope to do a thorough helium leak check of
the system and figure out where any significant vacuum leaks occur when
the aisle is comparatively warm.

2. We will also try to monitor the temperature of the base plate, the
hex, and the bell jar at this time.

3. We plan to get facilities to "dial back" the air flow into the
cleanroom at a somewhat earlier time that usual (this is usually dialed
back at 11 p.m. through 6 a.m. the next morning).  We will hope to dial
back the fans at something like 7 p.m.

4. We will then repeat leak checking and temperature measurements when
the fans are dialed back and, presumably, the air temperature in the
aisle is lower.  In particular, we are looking for any leaks that may be
significantly larger when the system/room is cooler than what we observe
when the system/room is warmer.

We are hopeful that this approach will help us to pinpoint the cause of
the "failure to pump after 11:30 p.m." problems that have plagued this
machine for some time.

If you have any questions or comments, please let us know.

John