Alignment marks etched in LTO ?

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Thu May 14 12:25:17 PDT 2009

All,

Be careful.  We have seen alignment marks which are marginal and work
for a number of layers but not for your whole process.  If Jim pulled
his batch data and saw a strong signal, I would feel more
comfortable.  The system has a large capture range, which is why some
are lead to believe the marks are fine when in reality they are
extremely marginal.

ASML engineers have a simulation program which they can use to
determine the correct alignment mark depth for the various films.  I
recommend we contact ASML to run the simulation and also verify the
quality of the alignment mark before I would commit my wafers.

How many times have you heard "it aligned at the last layer."  Many
times this came from marginal alignment marks.

Ed