IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Cascade announcements

mihirt at stanford.edu mihirt at stanford.edu
Sun Jul 1 10:46:57 PDT 2007

Hi all,

      Some announcements and updates regarding the Cascade probe
station in CIS 152.

1) The repaired chiller is back from Temptronic. It has been
installed, and the temp. controller is ready for use. Please remember
that the system is to be used only from -40 to +150 degrees.

2) We have ordered and received 4 more probe holders (to replace the
broken ones). Unfortunately, two more of our original probe holders
were damaged in the meantime, leaving us with _five_ total working
holders. We have ordered two more to bring the total to seven. This
will allow us to work with 6 manipulators and have 1 backup.

3) Due to the high ongoing cost of these repairs and part
replacements, as well as high Cascade use, we have consulted with
faculty and arrived at the conclusion that the user list needs to be
rebooted. ALL USERS WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE SYSTEM on July 15th.

We will begin re-qualifying users for the Cascade immediately. The
criteria for requalification are:

- Demonstration of a compelling reason to use the Cascade (i.e. why
your measurements cannot be performed elsewhere). These reasons should
be demonstrated to Gaurav, Duygu, and Mihir. Simple IVs and CVs should
be performed on the EE410 system managed by Raymond Woo.
- Accompanying three separate users on three separate days to observe
proper loading procedures.
- Final training by Gaurav (gthareja at stanford.edu), Duygu (duygu), or
Mihir (mihirt).

It is our hope that this additional training will prevent system
downtime and expensive repairs. Paring the userlist will also allow us
to expand the reservation limits.

More detailed announcements will be posted in CIS 152.

--
Mihir Tendulkar
Applied Physics PhD Candidate