Cascade policy reminder | new manager

Mihir Tendulkar mihirt at stanford.edu
Fri May 2 14:03:36 PDT 2008

All,

      There has been a spate of users lately who are not recording the
status of *all* of the probe tips before and after use. We've had
several broken and dirty tips lately, and the lack of proper recording
makes it difficult to track down which people are misusing the system.

      Please check ALL of the tips prior to your session. With the
microscope up, bring the tips close to each other (don't bump them).
Lower the microscope and use the coarse focus to examine each of the
probe tips one by one. Do the same thing after your measurement.

      We know this adds a little time to your session, but it makes
our jobs easier. Replacing the probe tips weekly is both
time-consuming and costly.

      On a related note, we have done away with the reminder policy.
Now, we give 2 warnings for violations. Upon the third violation, the
user will be removed from the system. They must undergo the full
training procedure to be re-enabled.

      That being said, I think the system has been treated pretty well
by the majority of users, and I want to thank you for that. The
Cascade technician was impressed with the status of the system, and he
was surprised to learn it was in good shape despite having so many
users. I want to thank those of you that are doing a good job with the
system. Please keep it up.

      Finally, we have also added Helen Chen (xiangyuc at stanford.edu)
to the stable of managers. She will assist in training and weekly
maintenance.

--
Mihir Tendulkar
Applied Physics PhD Candidate