Cascade chiller use [Please read]

Mihir Tendulkar mihirt at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 29 11:24:46 PDT 2009

Hi all,

     A couple of nights ago, Jim McVittie removed the chuck and found several connections loose. He tightened them and we ran some CVs. The preliminary results look pretty good. This may have solved our noise issue.

     However, we spoke to Cascade and realized that there are some additional precautions we should take -- particularly a thorough purge prior to using the chiller. That means, for those of you that use low-T measurements, you MUST wait 30 minutes for the chamber to purge with N2 before turning on the temptronic. I would use this time to perform room-temp measurements, then proceed with the rest of your session.

     I understand this is a bit of a hassle and it adds more time to your measurement process. However, it's still the best way to take care of the system and ensure reproducible, reliable measurements in the future.

     We are talking to Cascade to narrow down the best procedures for chiller use. In the meantime, the chiller is disabled (you cannot use it). Once we have narrowed down a good set of procedures, we will update the usage instructions and put the chiller back online.

--
Mihir Tendulkar
Applied Physics PhD Candidate