Fwd: Re: CMP tool

Christopher McGuinness chris.mcguinness at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 11:42:50 PST 2008

Here is an update on my CMP run yesterday:

I was not able to get any useful information from the endpoint detection.
The temperature increased and then fluctuated a bit as the wafers were being
polished, and the frictional force was very noisy and did not seem to change
baseline as I polished through poly into oxide.  This is based off of a
rough visual inspection of the EPD output as the wafers were being polished,
so may be able to be improved to yield useful information.  Has anyone been
able to get useful information from this?

The polishing rate varied quite drastically, from 0.24 um/min to 0.6 um/min
for the Ultasol S10 slurry on poly, and 0.078um/min to 0.127um/min for
Ultrasol S10 on oxide.  Have others noticed the polishing rate being this
unpredictable?

-Chris