post-CMP clean...

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 4 10:15:51 PST 2011

All,

The Post-CMP scrubber next to the system has only been used a few
times.  We did have one company which ran several groups of wafers
through the system with favorable results.  These wafers had not been
CMP'ed but had particulate problems from one of their other processes
(outside of the SNF).  What we did find during that time was the
quality of the clean was heavily depending on the conditioning of the
brushes.  They were using the dirty brushes which reside in the
system.  If we did not take them out and soak them for a day the
process added scratches from local dry spots on the brush.

The most successful results I have heard, the lab members would keep
their wafers wet.  They would do the wet bench scrub described by
Robert, but would place the wafers in to a water bucket and transport
the wafers to the decontamination bench.  This works for many samples
but not all (Al is etched in DI water).

When the scrub track was purchased I looked for a combination cleaner
with a megasonic's module.  They are out there, but not within our
price limitations.

Regards,
Ed