CMP update, 6/8/2012

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 8 17:20:22 PDT 2012

Gary,

1) Yes, the old regulator was not removed.  It appears that it was
mounted on the frame prior to the system assembly.  It's not in an easy
place to access and it's mounted to a critical component.  It would be
nice to get it removed, but it's a bigger project than it should be.

2) Oxide polishing has been around 12 Ang/sec according to all of Chris
McGuinness work.  This spans a number of years of effort.  I think the
rate is OK.

3) I would be very hesitant at modifying the retainer ring.  The new
membrane is very flexible compared to the old head design.  The retainer
ring is mainly for confinement of the wafer and the inner ram is what
creates the force on the wafer.  With the new, stretchable membrane the
inner ram should be able to extend much farther.  I can test this on the
bench.

Regards,
Ed