Remote Sunray access

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Mon Dec 9 16:22:32 PST 2002

Michael:

We have two computers (sunray and snf) that share the same file system (and
you have accounts on each of them and they share the same password).  Snf is
visible to the outside world ...  whereas sunray is behind a firewall and
invisible to the outside world.

So, you can use something like ssh (secure shell) or sftp (secure ftp) or scp
(secure copy) to move files to/from snf ... which is equivalent to moving them
to snffab.

We don't allow the use of things like ftp and telnet to access our machines
becasue of the inherent insecurity of having your password and username
transmitted in the clear.

I hope that helps,

John