Redhat 7.2 vs. 8.0?

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Thu Dec 19 10:19:25 PST 2002

Tom:

Have you kept up with RedHat enough to know whether 7.2 or 8.0 would be the
better choice at the moment?

Our firewall and mail server machine (snf.stanford.edu) is an ancient version
of RedHat (5.2, I think) running on some tired, old hardware.

Several months ago, Bill and I put a new motherboard with 1GB of main memory
and a 2.0 GHz P4 processor in a machine to use for Linux/Postgres development
of Coral ... while it works well for that, it sits idle much of the time.  It
is currently set up with RedHat 7.2

Also, we have seen a dramatic increase in spam over the last 6-8 weeks and
don't have any stuff on the mail server do deal with spam ... and the spam
product to which Stanford has a site licensce doesn't go back as far as Redhat
5.2.

So, we were thinking of retiring the old snf machine and setting up the
machine that we use as our Linux/Postgres development machine to do double
duty as our mail and firewall machine.

Do you have any recommendation as to whether we should keep that one as RedHat
7.2 or go ahead and upgrade now to 8.0?  (Particularly as you can see from the
fact that we are still running 5.2 that we have a tough time in upgrading
after the fact ...)

Thanks for your thoughts,

John