Communication of STS tool through the internet (fwd)

Michael Bell michael.bell at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 1 13:14:00 PDT 2003

Jim,

The STSS can be added to the network by getting an IP address from Jason
and then letting us know which port you want it plugged into. Bill or I
can jumper that port to the switch. We actually do not block any ports
on the switch that handles "outside" traffic.  So you should be good to
go, unless Stanford networking or Jason block the ports you need.

It sounds like they use a VPN which should be no problem. I'd say plug
it in and see if it works. If there is a problem they would need to talk
to ITSS at 5-help or Jason about specific issues. Keep in mind that
machines here are not behind a firewall and are subject to attack.

Regards,

Mike

 As for securing the