FW: SECURITY NOTICE: insecure passwords on your machine

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Mon Dec 6 06:59:33 PST 2004

Hi all --

Although I know little about these machines, it seems to me that they
have "bad" passwords because they are general-use machines -- they were
set up so that anyone who takes a picture on the SEM or the microscope
can upload their data on the network.  However, the network security
concerns are serious.  We have this problem (or may have) on other
systems in the lab as well.  It seems to me that we have a couple of
ways to approach this:

1.  Choose better account names and passwords and post these at the
station.  This is presuming that the security problem is from "outside"
rather than "inside" the lab.
2.  Take the systems off the network.  We should then upgrade these
systems to accomodate USB keys or other the media of choice.  (This is
what we did for the CAD PC's.)

Any other suggestions?

Mary

--