FW: SECURITY NOTICE: insecure passwords on your machine

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Mon Dec 6 08:10:58 PST 2004

Mary et al:

One other thing that we can do on many machines (although maybe not on
these) is to put them on the Stanford "shadow" network so that they are
inaccessible/invisible to people outside of Stanford.

In this case, I believe that these two machines are the ones that Mike
Deal uses for remote visibility of the Hitachi S-800 and the CNRI
Microscope.  So, at some level, they each need broader accessibility
than just on campus.  However, I don't know enough of the details to
know exactly what ports they use and exactly what needs to be visible to
the outside world.  I suspect that Mike Deal and Mike Bell can provide
us with more detail as to what services they need outside the campus and
then we should try to lock down everything else.

What OS runs on these machines?

Thanks,

John