JDK 1.4 beta 2 installed ...

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 28 17:37:38 PDT 2001

Bill and Mike:

OK, the beta 2 version is installed on sunray, rosen, guilden, and bopeep.
I've re-started the servers on guilden and, I believe, things are OK.

Just for reference, this is what I do:

1. I download the "package" version of the j2sdk and store it in my home
directory.

2. I then extract the compressed file using:
	zcat j2sdk-1_4_0-beta2-solsparc.tar.Z | tar -xf -

3. I then become root and cd to my home idrectory.

4. I then remove the old version with:
	pkgrm SUNWj3dmo SUNWj3man SUNWj3dev SUNWj3rt
which removes demo files, man pages, development environment, and runtime
environment respectively.

5. Then, still as root (and from my home directory), I install the new version
with:
	pkgadd -d . SUNWj3rt SUNWj3dev SUNWj3man SUNWj3dmo

6. Then, in order to "turn off" the default jce (which we can't yet use with
our ABA crypto stuff), I go to /usr/j2se/jre/lib and do a "mv jce.jar
jce.jar.ignore".

This default process installs everything in /usr/j2se.

This is the only thing that I do on rosen and sunray.

On bopeep, I have not added the SUNWj3dmo package (the demo stuff) because of
disk space limitations in the / partition.

On guilden, again because of limitations in the /usr partition, I actually
install everything in /app/j2se and then have a link that points from
/usr/j2se to /app/j2se.

The way to over-ride the default base directory from /usr to /app is a little
non-standard so I'll repeat it here:
This is done with the "-a" flag of the pkgadd command:

pkgadd -a /var/sadm/install/admin/basedir_ask -d . SUWNj3rt

When it asks for the base directory for installation, the answer on guilden is
/app ... this will install everything in /app/j2se.

In any event, let me know if there appear to be any problems with the new JDK.

Good luck,