[Fwd: Your Report: Keytool storage insconsistency -- Follow up of internal ID 137016]

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Sun Dec 9 10:36:30 PST 2001

Bill and Mike:

I submitted a bug report to Sun related to the keytool problem that we saw.
I ran an experiment on guilden:

1. Generate a key with 1.4.0-beta3 version of the keytool.

2. List it with the 1.4.0-beta3 version ... things are OK.

3. List it with the 1.2.2. version of keytool ... Owner and Issuer fields are
all encoded as Hex rather than strings.  (Note: this is what we saw with a
downloaded certificate on my NT running JDK 1.3.0.

Note: I also confirmed that the 1.4.0-beta3 keytool can properly read a key
generated with an earlier keytool.

My guess is that the 1.4.0-beta3 is somehow storing the keys in a format that
it can read properly but is inconsistent with the what other versions are
expecting to see.

In any event, I think that this is their bug and I couldn't find any bug
reports on this topic so I thought that we'd better submit it ASAP in hopes
that it is fixed by the time that the release candidate is released.