Remote client bug?

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Dec 19 13:48:38 PST 2001

Bill and Mike:

I believe that I am having a bit of a problem with the remote version of the
resouce client.

Following is the pertinent section of a log where I first click on "parco" and
then select "Edit member" ... with the following error, then click on a
project (I forget which one) and then select "Edit project" and then click on
an account and select "Edit account".

My suspicion is that we are looking at an Objuscation problem if, as appears,
it is specifically looking for labnet.resource.client.MemberAddModel, etc.
After obfactaion that is probably something like labnet.c.f.ab.

In fact, I believe that the problem occurs in ResourcePanel.java with the
setModel method where we set the string aModel and eModel to strings similar
to the above ...

We can tell it explicitly to not obfuscate
labnet.resource.client.MemberAddModel and friends ... which will clearly work
... but it may end up in failing to obfuscate more than we hope.

If you believe my diagnosis, I'd be happy to try to modify the obfuscation
code to see if this fixes it ...
Alternatively, is there a reasonable alternative that doesn't require the use
of the full, specific class name?

Note: at first I though it was strange that the ClassNotFoundException was
looking for MemberAddModel ... when I was doing an edit.  However, I think
that this is consisent with the setModel diagnosis as setModel sets Add, Edit,
(and, commented out, Delete) models, in that order ... so it throws the
exception when it looks for the "Add" classs first.  My guess that this is
causing problems elsewhere in the remote resource client becuase, I'll bet, we
call setModel anytime we move from panel to panel.

In any event, here is the error message ...

John

Starting resource client here!
ADMMGR_IOR_LOC: http://labadmin.stanford.edu/
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: labnet.resource.client.MemberAddModel
Couldn't find Member with name: parco.
Exception occurred during event dispatching:
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at java.awt.Container.addImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.add(Unknown Source)
	at labnet.i.a.cl.a(cl.java)
	at labnet.i.a.bd.actionPerformed(bd.java)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(Unknown
Source)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
	at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$MenuDragMouseHandler.menuDragMouseReleased(Unknown
Source)
	at javax.swing.JMenuItem.fireMenuDragMouseReleased(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JMenuItem.processMenuDragMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JMenuItem.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.MenuSelectionManager.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuUI$MouseInputHandler.mouseReleased(Unknown
Source)
	at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEvent(Unknown Source)
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: labnet.resource.client.ProjectAddModel
Couldn't find Project with name: 9VAV215.
[...]
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: labnet.resource.client.AccountAddModel
Couldn't find Account with name: 1DAA610.
[...]
Exiting normally.