Makefile, installation, etc.

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Jun 15 09:27:48 PDT 2001

Bill and Mike:

I know that you each are either already on vacation or on the verge of being
on vacation, but I wanted to let you know what I have been thinking of doing
in terms of standard installation that would, I think, make coral install more
readily at other sites ... and may streamline the process for us as well.

Here is what I am thinking:

Default installation directory: /usr/local/coral
	This would have subdirectories:
		bin: with stuff like labnet, coral
		lib: all of the jar files
		sbin: the servers, newuser, ... scripts.

I would also likely create links so that:
	/usr/local/bin/coral points to /usr/local/coral/bin/coral

	/usr/local/sbin/servers points to /usr/local/sbin/servers, etc.

Note: of course, if we wish, we could override all of that so thour our "home
directory" still points to /home/labnet ...

As a result, over the coming week, I'll try to modify the Makefiles so that
these things begin to happen.  Since both of you are doing "real work" on
*.java files, my guess is that there is very little chance that we will run
into a conflict situation ... but I wanted to let you know what I was thinking
of doing and to invite your comments in case there is any problem you see with
what I am proposing ...