Java Web Start launch

Bill Murray bmurray at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Mar 13 10:01:52 PST 2001

Sylvie,

I apologize for my delay in responding to your request.  I hope it's not
too late to be included on your list of Java Web Start partners.  We
have been using Java Web Start with great success since December 15, 2000.
We run a sophisticated nanofabrication facility which is used by academic
and industrial users from around the world.   Together with MIT and
UC Berkeley, we have written a custom application called Coral to manage
all aspects of lab operation including equipment control, equipment
reservations, lab access, accounting,  equipment maintenance, facilities
monitoring, ...  Since our lab users frequently travel great distances
to use our facility, it was essential that we provide secure remote
access to our software.  Java Web Start was the natural choice since
our application is completely written using Java and CORBA (except for
our equipment control device drivers which are written in C).   We
currently have hundreds of local users and over 150 remote users of
Coral.  With very limited assistance from us, our remote users have
downloaded and installed JWS and Coral on a wide variety of different
platforms.  If you need any additional information, please let me know.

We love Java and are greatly to Sun for their wonderful community spirit
and sharing of this great technology.

Thanks,
Bill Murray
Principal Systems Software Developer