Labnet ... lines of code:

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Nov 27 16:41:41 PST 2001

Bill and Mike:

I think that I got the program sloccount (for Source Lines of Code count)
working ...

Following is the current breakdown of a freshly checked out version of labnet
... of course, this doesn't include all of Bill's additions to the admin
server so we may want to update this when we have that all checked in.  In any
event, here is the analysis:

Note: in all cases, it does its best to eliminate comment lines from the
number of "real lines of code" (I think that it also eliminates blank lines as
well).  Note: that the idl lines (it didn't originally know about IDL, but it
appears that counting idl lines of code is virtually identical to counting C
in terms of eliminating comment lines) will also generate an extra 19-20
thousand lines of java code ... however, I didn't think that it was fair to
count them among the total lines of code.  Also, I think that both the sql
lines are bigger than are really in coral because we had a fair number of
*.sql files for loading our Crystal data.  Also, the ansic lines are nearly
double what they should be because in addition to the daemon and the driver
there is a "temp" directory that seems to include duplicates of nearly
everything ...

In any event, I thought that this was interesting to look at ... and they even
make the estimate that this represents a little over 10 person-years of effort
and an estimated development cost of $1.4M.

SLOC	Directory	SLOC-by-Language (Sorted)
42466   labnet          java=31822,sql=6123,ansic=2192,makefile=1133,idl=853,
                        sh=334,perl=9

Totals grouped by language (dominant language first):
java:         31822 (74.94%)
sql:           6123 (14.42%)
ansic:         2192 (5.16%)
makefile:      1133 (2.67%)
idl:            853 (2.01%)
sh:             334 (0.79%)
perl:             9 (0.02%)

Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC)                = 42,466
Development Effort Estimate, Person-Years (Person-Months) = 10.24 (122.93)
 (Basic COCOMO model, Person-Months = 2.4 * (KSLOC**1.05))
Schedule Estimate, Years (Months)                         = 1.30 (15.56)
 (Basic COCOMO model, Months = 2.5 * (person-months**0.38))
Estimated Average Number of Developers (Effort/Schedule)  = 7.90
Total Estimated Cost to Develop                           = $ 1,383,837
 (average salary = $56,286/year, overhead = 2.40).
Please credit this data as "generated using 'SLOCCount' by David A. Wheeler."