RemoteCoral and Java 1.4.1

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Mon Dec 2 17:53:16 PST 2002

Christian:

Yes, we are aware of this problem ... and are very close to having a permanent
fix for it.
It basically arises because in versions of Java prior to 1.4, Sun had their
Java Cryptography Extension as an optional add-on ... rather than asking
people to download and install the Sun stuff, we found it easier to package a
public-domain third-party cryptography package that included RSA
encryption/decryption with Remote Coral.  In 1.4, Java now includes their JCE
... but their JCE doesn't support RSA encryption/decryption.  And it won't
accept our current third-party cryptography provider because it isn't signed
... in other words, they won't trust it.

We have found a new, third-party encryption/decryption provider that supports
RSA (which means that everyone won't have to change their remote passwords
...) and is signed.  We are testing that as we speak, and hope to have this
version released later this week.  At that point, your existing 1.4.1 Java
should work just fine.

If you would like to run now, you can temporarily disable Sun's JCE stuff (you
won't want to completely throw it away because you will need to re-enable it
when we release the new provider).  You probably have Java installed in a
folder named something like:
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_01 ... or something close to that.  If you
call that path, JAVA_HOME, then you should find a file named: jce.jar in the
folder named: JAVA_HOME\lib
If you find that, and rename jce.jar to something like jce.jar.ignore, you
should find that the existing version of remote coral will begin to work.
Then, when we release the "new and improved" version, you will likely have to
re-re-name jce.jar.ignore back to jce.jar ... to effectively turn Sun's JCE
stuff back on.

I hope that helps,

John