Coral down...

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Sat Jun 22 15:24:00 PDT 2002

Mary, Bill, Mike, and Jason:

It appears as if we are having a network problem on the fiber link between the
Sunray and the switch in the fingerwall ... at least that is what it looks
like to me.

In particular, there are some messages in /var/adm/messages saying:
sbus-gem0: Could not establish link, check if cables are plugged in.

I've rebooted sunray, power cycled our switch in the fingerwall ... all to no
avail.

I'll make another round, try to connect and disconnect fiber segments into the
switch and into sunray ... I think there may be a connection in the "cage",
but I doubt that I can do anything there.

Does anyone know of any diagnostics we can run?  We also have, I think, the
fiber signal tester ... but I don't know how to use it.

I'll send out e-mail and post signs indicating that Sunray (and as a result
in-lab) Coral are dead although Remote Coral should (and does) work ...

So, as of 3:30 p.m. afternoon on Saturday (and, apparently, this was first
noticed this morning ....) our SunRays have been hourglassed ...

P.s. also in the Sunray /var/adm/messages files, it appears as if 00:53 this
morning that there was some sort of a CPU 15 memory problem that seemed to
have caused a reboot of sunray ... at first inspection, however, I didn't see
signs of this when I rebooted.