Coral Running on Linux (spf)

Bill Murray bmurray at snf.stanford.edu
Sat Mar 2 22:59:14 PST 2002

John,

Here are the short-term fixes I made to get Coral running on spf.  (I
thought I had written all this down when I did shott, but I couldn't
find it.  This took a little while to duplicate so I'm not going to lose
this one.  Ouch!)  Some of these symbolic links may be circular.  They're
probably not the correct way to do this.

I believe that Coral is basically installed on spf now.  However, I have
some runtime issues which I believe are related to using Postgres instead
of Oracle.  (For example, the multiple records in the Admin Manager's
status table.)  I'll take a look at these first thing on Monday.

1) The makefiles look for whoami in /usr/ucb.  On Linux, it's in
   /usr/bin.  So I made a symbolic link in /usr as follows:
   ln -s /usr/bin ucb

2) make[2]: /usr/j2se/bin/idlj: Command not found.  I changed the
   Makefile in labnet to reflect the location of the JDK on spf
   by changing JDK_BIN to /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0/bin

3) Here is a cvs diff of the changes I had to make to the etc/Makefile.

< JAVA_LIB              =       /app/java/lib
---
> JAVA_LIB              =       /usr/share/pgsql
52c52
< JDBC_JAR      =       $(JAVA_LIB)/jdbc.zip
---
> JDBC_JAR      =       $(JAVA_LIB)/jdbc7.1-1.2.jar
80c80
< JAVA_LIB              =       /app/java/lib
---
> JAVA_LIB              =       /usr/share/pgsql
83c83
< JDBC_JAR      =       $(JAVA_LIB)/jdbc.zip
---
> JDBC_JAR      =       $(JAVA_LIB)/jdbc7.1-1.2.jar
105c105
< JDK_HOME              =       /usr/j2se
---
> JDK_HOME              =       /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0
110c110
< JAVA_LIB              =       /app/java/lib
---
> JAVA_LIB              =       /usr/share/pgsql
113c113
< JDBC_JAR      =       $(JAVA_LIB)/jdbc.zip
---
> JDBC_JAR      =       $(JAVA_LIB)/jdbc7.1-1.2.jar

4)  package javax.crypto does not exist.  Copied jce.zip from rosen
    to /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0/jre/lib/ext on spf.

5) Modified constants/Constants.java as follows:

     public final static String DATABASE = "Postgres";

6) Modified the configuration files as follows:

  Client.conf.dev:

  IOR_DIRECTORY=http://spf.snffab.stanford.edu/

  Server.conf.dev:

  JDBC_DRIVERNAME=Postgres
  JDBC_DRIVERCLASS=org.postgresql.Driver
  JDBC_URL=jdbc:postgresql://spf.snffab.stanford.edu:5432/lab
  LABNET_DB_PASSWORD=secure

  IOR_URL=http://spf.snffab.stanford.edu/

  ORB_INITIAL_HOST=spf.snffab.stanford.edu
  ORB_SERVER_HOST=192.168.0.104

7) The scripts all start with #!/sbin/bash  However, on Linux bash is in
   /bin.  So I added a symbolic link in sbin as follows:
   ln -s /bin/bash bash

8) /usr/local/sbin/servers: /usr/ucb/ps: No such file or directory
   Made a symbolic link in /usr/ucb to /bin/ps as follows:
   ln -s /bin/ps ps