trouble with Coral inside SNF

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 20 08:34:59 PDT 2003

Vignesh:

Although I don't know exactly what got your sessions into that state ... I
know how to fix it:

Basically, your session is trying to use the Open Windows environment instead
of the Common Desktop Environment ... and, once it is set for Open Windows it
will continue to use it because it uses whatever was used last time by defaults.

So, to fix this:

Before you type your login name in the login window, notice that there is a
button named "Options".

Click the "Options" button which will give you a pulldown menu.  Select the
"Sessions" sub-menu item.  THis will give you 4 choices"

You will likely see that "Use window manager from previous session" (or
something like that) is selected.  You will also see, "Use Open Windows", "Use
Common Desktop Environment", and "Use Failsafe Session".

Select "Use Commonn Desktop Environment" ... then log in normally.
This should get you a good coral session and the proper environment this time
... and it should fix it in the future as well.

Good luck,

John