reservation cancellation problem. (fwd)

Bill Murray bmurray at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Aug 29 13:25:02 PDT 2003

John and Mary,

As you are both probably aware, we can create audit trails to track any
information we wish.  However, there is a cost associated with this.  We
must store the data, index it, and provide some mechanism to search it.

For example, Mahnaz was convinced that some members were disabling
equipment that had been enabled by someone else.  I added logging
that now tracks every single disable detailing the date, time, equipment
name, member that enabled, and member that disabled.  In the two plus
years since I added this, we have not found a single case where this
has happened.  We basically used this information to prove to members
that their equipment had not been disabled by someone else.

I advise against spending significant time and effort adding this
feature when we have such limited resources and many more urgent
tasks.