Remote access problem

Alan Cassell acassell at mail.arc.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 5 10:58:56 PST 2004

Dear Coral Network Adminstrator,

Recently, NASA has implemented additional security protection for accessing
outside network tools.  My network access through my office at NASA is
within a private network, and access to network ports above 800 has been
blocked.  It is my understanding that Remote Coral access is through port
1024, which is a highly secure access port here.  I'm trying to see if our
network folks here at NASA Ames will allow access from within our private
network.  They have a few questions they would like to be answered so they
can address this issue.

Is port 1024 required for both outbound/inbound traffic?
Can an alternate be used?

Your help and understanding would be greatly appreciated.  My user name is
cassell and you can find my contact information in the trailer.

Thanks so much

Alan Cassell

Alan M. Cassell, PhD
Project Scientist
Center For Nanotechnology
University of California Santa Cruz UARC
NASA Ames Research Center
M/S 229-1
Moffett Field, CA 94035

voice (650)604-2325