Internet explorer installation in clean-room

Umberto Ulmanella Umberto.Ulmanella at appliedbiosystems.com
Wed Jul 21 14:23:02 PDT 2004

Good Afternoon John,

I really appreciate your prompt response. Unfortunately, our folks won't
update the system. It seems to me that the only viable alternative is to
use our own laptops at SNF. Is there a wireless network at Stanford? Can
we hook up our laptops to the Internet ports in the clean-room?

Thanks,

Umberto

PS: I talked to Bill Gates: he finds the idea of the IE release for
Solaris very promising. That's why today MS is buying its own stocks back
:-))

"John Shott" <shott at snf.stanford.edu>
07/20/2004 12:56 PM

"'Mary Tang'" <mtang at snf.stanford.edu>, "'Umberto Ulmanella'"
<Umberto.Ulmanella at appliedbiosystems.com>
cc
"'Debjyoti Banerjee'" <Debjyoti.Banerjee at appliedbiosystems.com>, "'Jun
Xie'" <Jun.Xie at appliedbiosystems.com>, <coral at snf.stanford.edu>
Subject
RE: Internet explorer installation in clean-room

Umberto et al:

Actually this is a problem .... in their infinite wisdom, Microsoft has
chosen not to support platforms and operating systems other than their
own.  As a result, Internet Explorer isn't available on the Solaris
operating system on a SPARC platform.  So, sadly, there is nothing that I
can do to help you.  Note: the mozilla browser that we run (which is based
on the original Netscape browsers) does run on all platforms and on all
operating systems.

So, I think that you only have 2 choices:

1. Talk Bill Gates into releasing Internet Explorer for a Solaris
operating environment.

2. Get your folks to update their system so that it does recognize Mozilla
which is, afterall, probably the second most widely used browser.

While I hate to sound so unhelpful, you've asked for something that isn't
remotely under my control to deliver.

Sorry,

John

Hi Umberto --
I'm afraid I don't know how to answer this, but am redirecting your
question to someone who can.   John Shott, who is our associate director,
also oversees the computing resources at SNF.  Questions like this can be
directed to him and the people in his group ("coral at snf.stanford.edu").
Hope this helps.
Mary
Umberto Ulmanella wrote:

Good morning Mary,
I have a question regarding the installation of Internet Explorer in the
computers in the clean-room. Specifically, the web browser installed in
those computers is not recognized by the our company's system, therefore
we cannot check e-mails and do other operations. I was wondering if it is
ok for us to install Internet Explorer on those computers, or whom should
we ask. As you may understand, it is a major problem for us to be isolated
from the company for a whole day while working in the clean room.
Thanks,
Umberto Ulmanella