Remote Coral ...

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Sep 16 06:50:01 PDT 2005

Mark:

Let me make sure I understand your question: I think that you are saying
that Remote Coral works fine for you, but you are surprised that it is
because your Windows XP machine is set up to block incoming connections
from javaw ... and, as a result, you think that Remote Coral shouldn't
work?  Is that correct?

We have worked very hard to make sure that Remote Coral initiates all
network traffic and does not recevied any unsolicited incoming network
traffic.  For example, when you want to make a reservation, your
instance of Remote Coral sends a request to the reservation server of
the form: "Member wistey would like to make a reservation on equipment
raith from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, September 17, 2005".  Then, if
the reservation is allowed there is a response to that request that is
returned by the reservation server that says "Reservation successfully
made.".  In that case, your machine initiates the request and then waits
for the reply.  All but the most heavily locked down firewalls will
allow a return response from a request that you initiated.  We've
installed Remote Coral on about 850 different machines, many of which do
have firewalls, and only found 3 or 4 machines (mostly at government
labs ...) that have their firewalls so tightly locked down that it would
block the "Reservation successfully made." request.

Or did I completely misunderstand the nature of your request and you
want to know why Remote Coral does not work properly for you?

Talk to you later,