adjoining

Solly Stephens yckwh at 3gwizard.com
Sun Aug 27 18:25:49 PDT 2006

I am not going to talk any more about my mother . Allthe houses Ive heard about are up there. Aunt Irene had certainly prepared a lovely breakfastfor her.
I thoughtperhaps she might take her spite out on you. Mrs Stanleythought her very stiff and unresponsive and eventually left heralone . The next day they went down through New Brunswick, lying in thegrey light of a cheerless rain. Mrs Stanley had given up trying to talk to her. Would he havepouchy eyes like Uncle David? Its really foolish of him to take you out to Brookview. The table in the centre of theroom was covered with a gay red and white checked cloth.
Ive always called you Jane but thatmay be just pure cussedness.
And the house must begreen and white to match the trees. Iwant you to have it because if I go to the orphanage I sposetheyll take it away from me.
Come, my Jane,put on thy beautiful garments and lets be on our way.
Mrs Stanley would not haveknown her with the laughter and sparkle in her eyes. The sky wascloudless and a few shining, distant stars looked down on thesleeping town. Jane had never imagined a road coloured like that.
Everything seemed just on the point ofwhispering a secret of happiness. Jane stood alone in the room and looked about her. Iwant you to have it because if I go to the orphanage I sposetheyll take it away from me. But, though she felt thatsomething had taken her life and torn it apart, she did not cry. The next on my list is the old Jones house, said dad.
I suppose he hassome kind of a hovel to live in or he would not have sent for her.
She shall go fitted out properly, said grandmother. Aunt Irene had looked carefully at all her clothes. Jane knew he was looking her over anddidnt mind.
An apple-tree stretchedout friendly arms. They drove away, leaving the man who owned the house wondering whothem two lunatics were.
Youve got it wrong end foremost, Irene, like all women. Youre all tired out and everythingso strange. For a little while Jane felt no interest in house-hunting.
Do you think you could keep house for me, Jane?
The sermon seemed endless, the prayersdreary, there was not even a hymn line she liked. I suppose, said Uncle William at last, that you had better lether go. Subject to the fluctuations of the market, what kindof a house would you like, my Jane?
Mrs Stanley had given up trying to talk to her.
She got into bed silently and was tuckedin for the second time.
She hated the palesunshine that sifted down between the chilly, grudging clouds.
The sky wascloudless and a few shining, distant stars looked down on thesleeping town.