longitudinal

Anthony Hoskins jpkf at curtainlady.net
Mon Aug 28 06:16:06 PDT 2006

Do, just occasionally, look at honest men - like the waiter. Both repeated the word ‘drowned’ and looked at each other, and then again at their informant.
He lived in the breezy atmosphere of such hopeful advertisement and adventure. The more I learn, the more I fancy they lose by merely looking for appearances.
It was indeed to remain for many weeks one of the chief mysteries of this mysterious business.
There was nothing further to be learnt from Dr J.
Both repeated the word ‘drowned’ and looked at each other, and then again at their informant.
Well, he looked awfully like everybody else, I’m afraid, except for goggles. Can you ring up his house and find out if he has gone home?
Then he added rather more firmly, ‘I thought it might have been seaweed.
You are a great servant of truth and you know I could never be disrespectful to that. On the second glance, what he saw was unusual but not incredible.
It had rather the air of a man screwing a strong magnifying - glass into his eye. Hankey, except that he had made his decision. Then he asks us both to call, and he will give us his decision. But I suppose somebody will inquire here, if his friends or family miss him. You did not see the man vanish from the tent.
One would like to know - about his property, for instance.
I beg your pardon only for thoughts that I have had; and half - thoughts at that. But Dr Straker here has - What is the matter. Dr Straker was a remarkable man, even to look at.