remote coral access

John D Shott shott at
Tue Aug 18 15:19:19 PDT 2009

Although I'm diagnosing from long distance and with minimal information, it does sound to be a firewall problem.  You probably should check that your firewall is open on ports 50000-50014 when the destination is host

Let me know if you have any further questions,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher L Platt" <Christopher.L.Platt at>
To: mtang at
Cc: coral at
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:47:32 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: remote coral access

Hi Mary,

Yes, I set up my password yesterday while there.

Do you have to have JRE 6.0 to run?  I have 5.0 update 13.  On the website it instructs you to download JRE 5.0 update X, but the link to the Sun website doesn't have that.

Mary Tang <mtang at>
No Phone Info Available

08/18/2009 12:28 PM
To 	Christopher.L.Platt at

cc 	coral at

Subject 	Re: remote coral access

Hi Chris --

Did you get a chance to log into a SunRay terminal here at SNF?  And set your remote Coral password?  When you load up on your desktop, it should ask for your remote password.  If you've done this, and have this error message, then it could be the version of Java (JRE) you are running.

If this is the case, an email that John sent out (appended below) tells you how to downgrade.

However, if it's an issue of a firewall at your site, then some helpful info might be found here:

Let us know if any of these work for you!

Probably the safest thing to do is to open your control panel, go to
"Add/Remove Programs" and remove Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0_14.

Then you can go to:

There .... partway down will be entry named JDK/JRE - 6 that has an
option labeled "6 Update 13".  Click the "Go" button next to it.  That
will take you to a page where you can download either JDK 6u13 or JRE
6u13 (which are the "Java Development Kit" and "Java Runtime
Environment", respectively).  You only need to select JRE 6u13.

I'm guessing that once that is installed on your machine that Remote
Coral will run.
Let me know if that's been what has been hampering you ....

Christopher.L.Platt at wrote:

My account was just set up yesterday and I'm trying to access CORAL from my work location.  I'm getting a message "unable to get ResourceManager IOR. Please contact lab staff".

Do you think this is a firewall issue or is it something else?

Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.
Stanford Nanofabrication Facility
CIS Room 136, Mail Code 4070
Stanford, CA  94305