Equipment email lists?

John Shott shott at
Fri May 8 09:58:24 PDT 2009

> We've also had several recent complaints from labmembers that emails
> to specmat at snf are bouncing.  Is our emailer OK?
In order to do a better job of both avoiding spam and of avoiding those
annoying "bounced message" lists that we were getting for quite a while,
I've put in something that basically only allows "legal subscribers" to

Legal subscribers include the list of folks that are on at least one
equipment email list or on our courtesy list.  That is, in effect, our
labmembers list.  Plus we explicitly allow email send from anyone of
these folks forwarded email list .... so that, for example, you can send
email as either mtang at or as mtang at
However, if you happened to send email as mary_tang at it
would be rejected.

Has anyone  who should be a "legal" subscriber gotten bounced when they
send email to this address?

If we need to arguably accept email from other places then we can
moderate that list ... but, as you painfully know, moderating a list is
a nuisance and we are likely to get the same spam sent to specmat that
we get sent to labmembers ...