Cryostation reservations

Ryan Tu ryantu at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 22 00:06:06 PDT 2006

Dear All,

I would like to open a discussion to increase the availability of the
cryostation.  Currently users are blocking out up to three days at a time,
24 hours per day.  I am guessing that a large portion of that time is not
being used for actual probing, however, I would like to get feedback from
users as to how much of the reserved time is actually used.

Since the leak is now fixed, a pump down to appropriate levels before
cooling should take less than two hours and then the cool down itself should
take no more than an hour, for a total of three hours per sample load.  As a
start for the discussion how about limiting the reservation to a 8-10 hour
block for a 24 hour period.  This would give a user 5-7 hours of probing at
low temperatures.  If more time is needed, then the user can make additional
reservations in subsequent days.  Please reply for any comments or other
suggestions.  If users are finding that they need more than 5-7 hours to
probe, that would be useful as well.  I have just observed that in many
instances, large blocks of reserved times are unused and could be used by
other users.

Ryan