Cryostation update

Aryan Hazeghi hazeghi at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 9 16:21:29 PDT 2012

Dear current and prospective cryostat users,

As you are aware, the cryostat has been offline since the summer last year due to extensive damage to the radiation shield support structure and the probe cables. Fortunately the tool is now fixed but the repair process has cost us valuable research time and resources, so going forward "we need to have much tighter user control and user awareness that this is a delicate tool similar to a vacuum fab tool in the SNF."

The tool is now fully integrated with the CORAL interlock and needs to be enabled by individual, qualified users.
Please join us on Monday 04/16 at 2:00-3:00PM in CISX 318 (due to MRS this week) where we will go over the new protocols, share the weak points in the tool design and answer any questions. All existing qualifications are suspended pending attendance in this session. Prospective users need to attend as well. If the time does not work for you, please contact the superusers.

I understand that this level of scrutiny may seem rather excessive for such a small user base, but we hope the new protocols will help reduce the downtime.

Thanks to those who helped with bringing the tool back online and to Professors Wong, Nishi and Saraswat for their support.

Best,
Aryan